15-YEAR-OLD IS THE NUMBER ONE RANKED AFRICAN-AMERICAN JUNIOR GOLFER

May 2024 · 2 minute read

At just 15-years-old,  Shyla Brown is the number one ranked African-American Junior Golfer in the nation.

Recently, the Texas teen showcased her remarkable skills at the prestigious Southwest Airlines Showcase at Cedar Crest, where she clinched a second-place title among the nation’s top amateur golfers.

Shyla Brown took to social media to share her experience at the historic Cedar Crest event, expressing gratitude to the hosts, sponsors, and her family. She wrote, “A special acknowledgment goes to my family, including Pops and Mrs. Pops, and my esteemed playing partners, @kendall.jackson10 and @marley.franklin.”

She continued, “It is with pride that I reflect on my performance, achieving a commendable -1 and securing a robust second place finish. The experience of being the youngest participant on the field is truly unparalleled. My deepest thanks to #TeamShyla for their unwavering support.”

One of the highlights of the tournament for Brown was getting to meet Charles Sifford, a piooneer who broke the color barrier for the PGA Tour.

“[Competing in the Cedar Crest golf tournament] … means a lot to me. The history behind Cedar Crest that’s been held there… Pioneers like Charles Sifford, walking in his footsteps, it means a lot to me,” Brown said in an interview with ABC affiliate, WFAA.

Recently named to the 2023 American Junior Golf All-Star Team, Shyla becomes the second African-American in history to receive such an honor.

Despite her young age, she has clear aspirations for her future in golf. First on her agenda is pursuing a college education, followed by a journey into the professional ranks.

“I want to get through college. Go professional and not even just get on the tour. Be one of the greatest,” said Brown.

Photo Credit(s)/Featured Image: Shyla Brown Instagram

ncG1vNJzZmiak6C8r7jIp5xnm5%2BifHN8kWxmamlfZoRwsMClo5qrXamyua3SZpirnZFiwaaxzWagrGWknbJuutSmmZ6qXaS7pnnRmqWknZRirqe%2ByJyYp2WRorKztcKapWaipaO2sL6MoKalnpWnfA%3D%3D